11 days ago
Welcome to art class!
Thank you for visiting the art page at DIS. In art class students will work on many projects including 2D, 3D, painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics, and art history, just to name a few. As the DIS art teacher it is my goal to provide the DIS community with the best and most beneficial art education possible. This is my second year with the Donegal School District, and I have to say the children and families are a joy to work with!
Please note the following:
1) Art Shirts: Art shirts are provided for your child, so they do not need to bring in their own individual shirt. The art shirts I will be providing will be washed every two weeks, or more, depending on how much we are using art shirts. If your child would like to bring in their own shirt please have the shirt labeled and in a large baggie. The label should include, name, grade, and homeroom teacher. Finally, if you have any old shirts that you are looking to get rid of feel free to donate the shirts to the art shirt bin-just send in the shirt(s) you would like to donate with your child and have them deliver the shirt(s) to the art room(s).
2) Art Show: The art show is held every spring. In order to prepare for the art show I hold on to your child's artwork until I know what will and what will not be included in the art show, also so I can make sure every child has at least one piece of artwork in the show. One piece of artwork per child is usually the limit due to the amount of students who attend DIS. The art show date will be announced approximately a month in advance.
3) Volunteers in the Art Room: I am always open to having parent volunteers in the art room. If you would like to volunteer in the art room please email me at email@example.com so I can help you complete and hand in the required paperwork for volunteers.
4) Grades in the Art Room: Every student is graded on an individual basis. Students are not compared to others, only on their own individual improvement and work ethic. Art making is a continuous learning experience and there is always room for growth.
I look forward to working with the students and families of DIS. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fitness and Wellness
5 months ago
As the school year progresses, we would like to remind you about the importance of your child’s physical activity education. The percentage of overweight youth has more than tripled in the past 25 years partially due to increased interest in sedentary activities such as television, computers, and video games. A reduction in physical activity as well as an increase in caloric intake has contributed to an obesity epidemic.
It is a well-documented fact that Americans become increasingly less active as they age. Just as children and youth can learn the habit of regular physical activity, they can learn to be inactive if they are not taught skills and given opportunities to be active during their childhood.
Physical activity education in school physical education programs is the cornerstone of an active lifestyle for all students. School programs provide the skills, knowledge and attitudes that facilitate choosing physical activity after school, at home and in the community.
As highly-qualified physical education teachers, we pledge to:
1. Establish a positive, safe learning environment for all students
2. Teach a variety of physical activities that make physical education class fun and enjoyable
3. Create maximum opportunities for students of all abilities to be successful
4. Promote student honesty, integrity and good sportsmanship
5. Guide students into becoming skillful and confident movers
6. Facilitate the development and maintenance of physical fitness
7. Assist students in setting and achieving personal goals
8. Provide specific, constructive feedback to help students master motor skills
9. Afford opportunities for students to succeed in cooperative and competitive situations
10. Prepare and encourage students to practice skills and be active for a lifetime
This school year we would like to invite you to visit our physical education class. You will see children participating in developmentally appropriate activities that will help increase their physical competence, self-esteem and joy of being physically active no matter what their physical abilities may be. By enhancing your children’s physical activity education, we are certain we will be able to help your children enjoy a lifetime of physical activity and good health. We welcome your support and if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to e-mail us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Much health and happiness,