Fitness and Wellness
As the school year progresses, we would like to remind you about the importance of your child’s physical activity education. The percentage of overweight youth has more than tripled in the past 25 years partially due to increased interest in sedentary activities such as television, computers, and video games. A reduction in physical activity as well as an increase in caloric intake has contributed to an obesity epidemic.
It is a well-documented fact that Americans become increasingly less active as they age. Just as children and youth can learn the habit of regular physical activity, they can learn to be inactive if they are not taught skills and given opportunities to be active during their childhood.
Physical activity education in school physical education programs is the cornerstone of an active lifestyle for all students. School programs provide the skills, knowledge and attitudes that facilitate choosing physical activity after school, at home and in the community.
As highly-qualified physical education teachers, we pledge to:
1. Establish a positive, safe learning environment for all students
2. Teach a variety of physical activities that make physical education class fun and enjoyable
3. Create maximum opportunities for students of all abilities to be successful
4. Promote student honesty, integrity and good sportsmanship
5. Guide students into becoming skillful and confident movers
6. Facilitate the development and maintenance of physical fitness
7. Assist students in setting and achieving personal goals
8. Provide specific, constructive feedback to help students master motor skills
9. Afford opportunities for students to succeed in cooperative and competitive situations
10. Prepare and encourage students to practice skills and be active for a lifetime
This school year we would like to invite you to visit our physical education class. You will see children participating in developmentally appropriate activities that will help increase their physical competence, self-esteem and joy of being physically active no matter what their physical abilities may be. By enhancing your children’s physical activity education, we are certain we will be able to help your children enjoy a lifetime of physical activity and good health. We welcome your support and if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Much health and happiness,